- 1"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it."
- 2"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here."
- 3"I would have been your daddy, but a dog beat me over the fence." - Sergeant Johnson.105
- 4"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends."
- 5"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it."
- 6"Cannot possibly attend first night; will attend second, if there is one."
Winston Churchill's response to George Bernard Shaw70
- 7Q. How does Michael Jackson pick his nose? A. From a catalogue65
- 8"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend... if you have one."
George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill62
- 9"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."
- 10"He has Van Gogh's ear for music."
- 11"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."
- 12"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary."
(about Ernest Hemingway)15
- 13"Poor Faulkner. Does he really think big emotions come from big words?"
(about William Faulkner)10
- 14It is only too easy to catch people's attention by doing something worse than anyone else has dared to do it before."If you were orphaned when you were a child, I feel sorry for you, but not for your parents.8
- 15He emits an air of overwhelming vanity combined with some unspecific nastiness, like a black widow spider in heat. But nobody seems to notice. He could be reciting 'Fox's Book of Martyrs' in Finnish and these people would be rolling out of their seats.-38